Sunday, June 26, 2011

My 2010 position in Silver Wheaton brought gains of 100%, give or take a few dollars. I also had a small position in Premium Exploration which i thought had great potential as a gold exploration company. Their properties seemed to be extremely valuable but I sold my position at the end of the year for just a slight gain, which turned out to be a bit soon. Over the following weeks the stock did a major run up in price which would have been nice, but now it sits just about where i sold. The reason i sold my positions at the end of the year was so that i could switch from paper precious metals investments to physical metals investments. My research throughout the year taught me alot about the nature of our crisis as compared to other crisis's suffered by the US and other nations throughout history. I learned about the transfer in wealth from cash to tangible assets like gold and silver. So at the beginning of the 2011 year i purchased a 100oz bar of
.999 fine silver for $30 an ounce and paid $100 for shipping and insurance. In 2010 I started with $1600 which i doubled to just about $3200 by december. I then purchased the bar for $3100 and later two small 1oz bars for just under $100 with shipping.
Less than 3 months after my purchase silver was riding $50oz. Thats a gain of 62%.
During these summer months the price of silver has been beatin back by a combination of massive commercial shorts, in an effort to supress the price, and the natural summertime selloff which happens nearly on cue every year. Notoriously the fall and spring months are best for precious metals while the summer is usually the slowest.
I do expect that by years end we'll be back up near the $50 price range.